PSI offers many different types of resources for schools, students, and parents, such as films, books, teaching guides, toolkits and more! Listed below are some items that are available to download free of charge.
Check back often! New resources are added to the list frequently!
Elements of Dignity
Most of our promoted peace activities begin with the notion of dignity. Respecting others’ dignity is the first step to creating and maintaining peace. This document details 10 Elements of dignity and is a great starting point when designing your own peace activities. Elements of Dignity
Resource Books by Hetty van Gurp
PSI founder Hetty van Gurp, has written many resource books for teachers bring peace to their classrooms.
- Peer Mediation: guide to resolving conflict in our schools
- Peace in the Classroom
- Creating Caring Schools
- The Peaceful School: Models that Work
Books: By Kids, For Kids
Click the images to open each book. Check back in Fall for a new series of books by kids for kids!
Peaceful Schools: Ideas to Inspire
Each month, PSI send an idea for a school-wide initiative to its members. These ideas are usually tied to a special day, such as the International Day of Peace; a seasonal theme; or an event such as Gossip-Free Day. In this document we have compiled a few samples from previous years to inspire you. Ideas to Inspire
The following PDFs are an assortment of activities and worksheets for all ages to help support lesson plans and peace-themed messaging. Many of these have been featured as part of the Monthly Idea program for member schools.
Through generous support from the United States Institute of Peace (USIP), we were able to translate the Sam series into Urdu. Here are the Urdu versions:
The following are a list of books we have on our bookshelves and recommend to you! Many of our activities and ideas come from these resources and are available from various websites and bookstores.
- Big Book of Conflict Resolution Games by Mary Scannell (2010). Available at https://s3.wp.wsu.edu/uploads/sites/2070/2016/08/The-big-book-of-Conflict-Resolution-Games.pdf (free).
- Bullying in Schools and What To Do About It by Ken Rigby (2007). Available at http://www.kenrigby.net/Books
- Leadership for the Schoolhouse by Thomas Sergiovanni (1996). Available on Amazon
- Playing with Fire: Creative Conflict Resolution for Young Adults by Fiona MacBeth and Nic Fine (1995). Available on Amazon
- Students Resolving Conflict by Richard Cohen (1995). Available on Amazon
- The Bully Free Classroom by Allan Beane (1999). Available on Amazon. Also see Beane’s free guides: Fact Sheet for Parents and Mini Guide for Elementary Schools Students
- Education for Peace Curriculum Manual by H.B. Danesh and Sara Clarke-Habibi (2007). Available on Amazon
- How to Handle a Bully by Susanna Palomares and Dianne Schilling (2001). Available on Amazon
- Barns and Noble: 8 Lovely Children’s Books about Peace
Have a book recommendation? Send us an email with the link for where to buy it and we will help share it with our community!